Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What Fairy Tales Do Not Tell Little Girls

We all know that Cinderella got to marry her Prince after years of slaving away in her own home, Snow White woke up from a deep sleep after her Prince gave her that kiss, Princess Fiona got to marry and live happily with her Ogre that rescued her from the castle, and we even have our very own modern fairy tale romance of Prince William and Kate Middleton to show us that true love does exist, just like in the fairy tales.

These stories are so ingrained in each and everyone of us girls, if not all. Despite saying how much we wish we can find a handsome/rich/popular/etc. guy, deep in our hearts all we hope for is to find a man who can really appreciate us for who we are - see through us and still appreciate our inner self. We want to have a genuine, honest relationship where love is pure, true and innocent. We want to spend the rest of our lives, happily with him, knowing that he will faithfully love and cherish us for who we are to him.

I always loved fairy tales when i was a little girl. I still love them now. Who can refuse a whimsical romance that eventually ends in a happily-ever-after?

But in reality how often does it really happen?

I never really gave much thought to it. Somehow, despite the rising rates of divorces, break-ups of couples around me, I always believed that as long as I have faith, things will eventually work out for me. I believed that i would get my fairy tale ending. No, not necessary a handsome prince. But a simple guy who can truly appreciate me for being me, and that i can truly love in return. And I aint looking for the money. I just want to spend a genuine and happy life with the one I love, whom i may also call my best friend. I only want to find that one person whom I can share my world with, laugh and cry with, and that i can confide in without worrying whether he is judging me or if my secret will be let out to everyone in the world. I want to be able to trust that one single person and everything single thing he does.

What fairy-tales do not tell us is that behind every successful love story, buckets of tears were shed, thousands of angry words were exchanged, disastrous fights had occurred, and maybe even, partners were not faithful. Fairy-tales never warned us of the evil third party that may transcend each relationship, or the meddlesome family that just has to get in the way of two people in love. Fairy-tales also didnt tell us of how distance can stretch even the deepest love nor did it give warning of the potential hurt and grief one will likely go through as a result of falling in and out of love.

Often, I wonder if fairy-tales were created only to let us all fall into a made-up fantasy.. a temporary escape for us to run free and imagine that true love does exist, or does it really does exist???

I used to believe that true love exists. The kind where two people will sacrifice anything for each other just for the other to be happy. I really thought it was possible and i even thought that i had living proof, us. But i must have been too naive, because i am wrong. Even when one party refuses to give more than he ought to, it doesnt matter how hard the other party tries, the relationship will never NEVER work. Because i have been on both sides, and i know how a relationship can so easily fall apart.

It is sad that after almost four years of us working so hard to make this work, and that in the past recent months, i really did make an effort to make myself better, and yet, everything is in vain. But then again, at least i can seek comfort in the fact that i did give my best for us, and for you. And perhaps, it was just you who changed and could not learn to appreciate the one person who has faithfully been by your side after all these years. You made that choice, not only because of what you said tonight, but also from your actions in this past one month. You and I are on our own now.




1 comment:

  1. hold tight with your faith, u'll find the one who'll truly appreciate u as his precious one one day ltr.
    cheers!
    =D

    ReplyDelete