Thursday, January 10, 2013

2.5 Years of Law School Didnt Prepare Me

A little heartbroken from today. Have been putting a lot of effort in preparing for this exam, even if it is quite last minute for my standards. But I dont know what happened, my mind blanked the moment i entered into the exam hall. I guess my subconscious already knew what was coming.. because my hands were already shivering hours before the examination began. But still, knowing how inevitable it was doesnt help me deal with the disappointment within me. My mind was blank for an exam that I spent so much time, effort and energy studying. Tears of disappointment rolled down from my eyes immediately after the exam was over. I couldnt even finish writing everything, not that I had much to write anyway.

Glad MY's birthday was today. So we had a reason to be happy despite the torrid exam. And what I found out was that my closes friends were in the same boat as me. We all think we might fail Company law. Sighs. But it was nice to share the same misery together. It just felt less heavy when everyone carried the same weight on their shoulders.

A separate thought ran across my mind. The exam consists of supposedly two questions. We are required to answer everything in two hours. That would mean one question per hour, correct? But I think someone in the exam administration that decided this didnt realise what it is like to be a law student. Because law isnt about calculating, it isnt about writing one short essay. It is about analysing the question, identifying the issues, regurgitating principles from decided cases, applying it into the present situation and finally, writing all that down in ONE FREAKING HOUR!!! An ideal answer that will score an A would normally require a minimum of three pages. Please dont tell me one hour is enough. Reading and understanding the question itself takes five minutes, and if there are two questions, ten minutes is gone.(FYI, my question paper was five pages long). Sometimes lecturers think it is cooler to split the TWO questions into EIGHT. So you have EIGHT FREAKING ISSUES to answer. Maybe that is the reason why I lost it today, because I panicked and my mind went blank.

Maybe I cant accept the fact that I am vulnerable too. So I want something to put the blame on. Or maybe it really is the fact. I have lived almost 2.5 years of law school now and I know how generous examinations are with law students. We never have enough, it is just not fair to give us TWO HOURS to answer such ridiculously long life scenarios, with perfection.

Not touching any books tonight. Really done for tonight.

*I hope I get my mood back soon, for banking law. :( 

2 comments:

  1. Frustration and disappointment make Xin Lin a stronger will!It's the worst time, it's the worst situation, no exam would be worse than it!!! Just keep moving, Xin Lin would get better and better results~~All the best!

    ReplyDelete