Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Alexis @ The Gardens

The first time I heard of Alexis having good cakes was when one of my old schoolmates told me that their Tiramisu is really good. I was not convinced, until today. 

Oh before I proceed, I must say that The Lady is a fantastic movie to watch - whether you are a romantic or a crazy human rights activist, or even just a simple person looking for a movie to spend your 2.5 hours away.  I cried throughout the show. But nevermind that. 

The Onion wanted to have dinner at The Gardens. And I was very keen to try out the Tiramisu at Alexis, as mentioned by my friend. So naturally, we made our way there. 

The Onion ordered English breakfast tea (RM12.50) and he was served with a set, just like the below. I was impressed! A pot of tea, a bowl of brown and white sugar cubes (with a little thing to pick the sugar!), a small pot of milk and of course, a cup to hold the tea. How adorable, isnt it? After all, most places that serve English breakfast tea only serve one cup of tea from a tea-bag. 


Then came The Onion's Pizza Magherita (RM29). Basically, it's tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil on a thin crust of pizza dough. I wont say it is out-of-the-world, because it isnt. Maybe I am used to the fast-food version of pizzas.. (think Dominoes), but this was alright.  Maybe.. it's more for those people who like thin crust pizzas. Me likey bread-like pizza dough.



Somehow I seem to have a knack for eating burgers everywhere these days. Coincidence much? This is the Alexis Burger (RM30). Prime cut beef pattie with onions, tomato, melted gruyere (a sophisticated name for hard yellow cheese from Switzerland), and shoestring fries. I have two things to say about this burger.

I will start with the burger and then proceed with the shoestring fries. The burger.. is meaty. Even more meaty than the one I had at The Bee recently. The pattie is thicker and the beef flavour is much much stronger here. Eating it with a fork and knife, it kind of reminded me of eating a steak. Heck, they even had the option of preparing it well done or medium rare! Meaty burger isnt for me, I prefer burgers for their flavour. But I enjoyed their bun, fresh and fluffy.

The shoestring fries on the other hand is just plain weird. I apologise for my frankness but I really cannot understand the point of eating fries when they have been shredded to strands and then fried until they are so crispy that they break upon any contact with it. I will prefer normal fries to this, any day. If you are curious of what it looks like, it's the hay-like thingy in the background of the burger. But of course, this is just my personal opinion and everybody may differ in their taste. In fact, The Onion seems to like it pretty much.

The environment of the place is peaceful and nice. It isnt the typical place you go for a meal. More for celebrations or dinner treats. White walls, plain ceiling. Magazines were even arranged on the counter. And the place is VERY spacious. The crowd normally comes in around 8pm and later. There were more people there when we left than when we arrived and FYI, we were there from 7pm plus until 10.30pm.


And.. and, the long-awaited desserts! The Onion ordered the Mixed-fruit Meringue (RM15). Most people always say how good the tiramisu here is.. but for me, I actually appreciated the beauty of this meringue better. It's basically two layers of meringue sandwiching a layer of cream with lots and lots of berries. The meringue was not too sweet and it had a marshmallow-like consistency. For RM15, the quality was indeed there - with each bite, there was berries and stuff. Oh btw, the portion was ginormous!



 I ordered the Tiramisu (RM15). A soft spongy cake with a slight whiff of coffee, with lots of cream. The cake is coated with caramlised pecans. The extra crunch from the combination of caramel and pecan was good. I could also taste cognac in the cake, somewhere. There were also thick chocolate shavings in the cream - love that! Although the raspberry sauce does give this Tiramisu an interesting twist, i personally prefer without as it overpowers the cognac flavour.

The picture below shows all the other desserts that we could have picked from. But anyhow, if I ever do come back to this place again, I will still pick the same desserts. Minus the main meals. ;)


This is the place to go if...
You have time (and money) to burn while in Midvalley or The Gardens. Highly recommended to spend your tea time here with a slice of cake and tea.



Alexis Kitchen Bar
Lot F209 First Floor
The Gardens Mall
Mid Valley City
Lingkaran Syed Putra
59200 Kuala Lumpur
03-22872281



1 comment: