Sunday, May 13, 2012

Brussels Beer Cafe @ Jaya One

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. - Tenneva Jordan
If that first sentence doesnt reveal what this post is about, I am not sure what will. My brother and I decided to take our parents out for Mother's Day. And since my mom was very keen on trying out some porky goodness around our home, Brussels Beer Cafe was her number one pick. You have to know two things about my mother.

Number 1: She loves meat, and doesnt like dessert. So unlike me.
Number 2: She hates crowds. She rather have a peaceful environment to eat in than fight for a table in a restaurant that apparently sells the tastiest meal. Somewhat unlike me.


Dad ordered Olma Bratwurst (RM48.80). I reckon this was the best thing our mouths tasted in Brussels tonight. It was served about one foot long and the diameter was approximately two inches. And that long THING was sandwiched in between two equally long buns! (Emphasis is mine). That is not even the end of how impressive the Olma Bratwurst was. The sausage was juicy and succulent with not a single hint of the rubbery texture you get in most store-bought sausages. I am no pickle lover but even then, I had to concede that the flavour of the pickles complemented the SUPER SIZE sausage very well. The potato wedges that came along with this was well-seasoned and fried to perfection. This is the ultimate meal to have here.


My mom ordered the Brussels Style Half Pork Knuckles (RM33.80) which came with some gravy in a jar. This was pretty good too, by itself. The meat was juicy and tender. And the pork skin was crispy and full of flavour. I didnt take much of a liking to the gravy and I felt the meat was tasty enough by itself but everyone else in my family enjoyed it.


My brother and I may fight like hell when we fight but at most times, we tend to like the same things and have very similar opinions on most issues. Today was such a day. We both ended up ordering the same thing - Grilled Pork Chop (RM28.80), which wasnt actually that great when it came. Two slabs of pork slices, one scoop of Belgium stoemp (mashed potato), and some boiled vegetables. There was some red wine to the meat, but that asides, this meal was so-so. The meat didnt impress me - it was too dry.

We also added on one side order - Meatballs braised in Leffe Brune sauce (RM13.80). These pork balls definitely did not disappoint. The meat was tender and tasty on its own, without the sauce. But with the sauce, it had that beer-like flavour to it. The taste of herbs was very strong too.



As for desserts, I ordered Waffles (RM10.80). Waffles with vanilla ice-cream and honey and chocolate sauce. This was my first time eating Belgium waffles. The flavour and texture of the waffles came as a surprise to me. Strong taste of cinnamon in an almost bread-like texture waffle. Topped with ice-cream.


Happy Mother's Day, to my mummy.


This is the place to go if...
You love pork or/and beer. More like, go there right now if you want your beer fix.



Brussels Beer Cafe, Jaya One
L-20-G, Block L, Jaya One
No 72A, Jalan Universiti,
46200 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan
03-79542000

No comments:

Post a Comment