Tuesday, March 4, 2014

1st Year

A little more than a year ago, I would never have imagined that the man of my dreams would be mine. I can still recall thinking that you are just the type of guy I would like. At that point of time, you would message me randomly every other day despite being in another state. I enjoyed your wit, your kind nature, your optimism. I liked that I could discuss all sorts of issues with you. I didnt want to dwelve too much on the status of our relationship because you were just too good to be true, and I really didnt need any more disappointments in life at that point of time.

The first time you came to my house was after the CNY holidays. For some, it would be awkward to bring an almost stranger into your home. By then, we had only met two or three times. But armed with delicacies from Penang, a book I had been wanting to read and some treats for Metta, I knew at once you were no stranger. 

Things progressed quickly from then. 

10 March 2013 - we were watching Hugo on your laptop at my home. No one was home. At first, you placed your hand on my thigh. When that did not prompt any response from me, you took my hand and asked me if I was alright with us seeing each other. Without a second thought, I knew the answer. Yes. And you took my hand and gave it a kiss. 

The rest as some would call it, is history. 

The thing about you is that with each day, each week, each month that passes, with each moment that I know you better and better, I discover more and more things to cherish about you. 

You are not romantic nor sentimental; you are forgetful and aloof; you apologise for mistakes when you do not know what you did wrong; but just like the thorns of a rose, these qualities too, are part of why I love you. 

In the first few months when I first got to know you, I immediately took a liking to your quick wit. You had many ideas and shared interesting thoughts with me on a daily basis. You could create jokes in a snap and understood most things (even stupid things) I said very easily. When I got to know you better, I began to see the sensitive side of you. You were also a kind person and often helped anyone when you could. 

But it was only when our relationship started that I realised how good I had it. You drove sensibly; you communicated well with me; we enjoyed our time together; you respected me as a person; you forgave me for my past and even more importantly, allowed me to forgive myself for my past; you assured me when I needed a shoulder and pushed me when I needed motivation; we fought playfully and argued respectfully; you celebrated my causes and anguished over my miseries; I could be honest with you and you understood my need for honesty; I could love freely; I could be silly and you would never judge me.

Many times, I wonder the good luck that was bestowed upon me for me to meet you. I am glad for holding out for Mr Right and not Mr Alright. 

HAPPY 1ST ANNIVERSARY, MY LOVE. (Cant believe it is in a week's time!)


No comments:

Post a Comment