Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Gratitude

I went to Pudu Temple with CY and his mom today. Going to the temple has been in my plans since the night of 10 September but because I have never really been the religious type, it was not exactly the first thing on my mind. I had so many things to be grateful for after the accident. We did not lose our lives, neither did we suffer any grievous hurt. The other people involved in the accident were not injured either so it really did save him from a lot of trouble and additional mental grief.

I do not enjoy exaggerating things and I hope I do not portray the accident wrongly, but it was serious. When I saw the other car suddenly flashing the signal to cut into our lane, I (and I think CY, too) knew that we were in deep trouble. The things that followed happened too quickly. When people say that if you suffer from a near-death experience, your loved ones will be on your mind. I never gave that much thought (who has time to think of anything else when their life is at risk!?) But at that moment, my mother did cross my mind. I remembered that she was waiting for me at home; that my dad was away and she would be all alone. There was a huge bang. And just as quickly as the accident happened, everything came to a halt. I was stunned for a while but my momentary shock immediately came to an end when CY asked if I was okay.

It was pretty clear that the car was beyond repairs. I didnt realise the seriousness of the accident at first. I was just plain stunned. But when I looked around and realised I couldnt get out of the car because it had hit the highway barrier and my side of the car door was blocked by the barriers, I realised that that night, I could have lost my life. My handphone and bag, which were on my lap had disappeared and was only found later, under the seat of the car.

Each time the accident played across my mind, I would shudder, especially when I recall the 'bang' sound upon contact with the other car, the dust flying on my lap when the car turned 360, and the sight of the car after the accident. I took a few pictures but those are pictures I will not want to see anytime in the near future.

I thought of many what-ifs. If the car wasnt as sturdy or stable as the Corona, if the barrier had actually given way and pierced through the car, if the engine had exploded, if there was another speeding car behind us,.. so many what-ifs. But at the same time I dont want to think about it because it is scary to think of the consequences. So for now, until the trauma passes off, I just want to be grateful that everyone was safe and sound.

There is no one to blame for what happened. If there is, it would be everyone who was involved. So I hope no matter what, CY will not take it in his heart to blame himself for the accident. I do not resent him and I can truly understand how unavoidable the situation is, considering the speed. The other driver involved probably knows where he was wrong, even if he does not admit it in public. No one wants accidents to happen but since it did, I hope that he would see how dangerous speeding is, and how it does not only affect the people who drive but also the people who care for him/her.

The accident did not just serve as a lesson to CY not to speed, but it also acted as a reminder to me to be more courteous on the road. Although I dont speed, I do have other bad driving habits that can be equally dangerous too.. multi-tasking, carelessness, signalling the moment I want to cut into another lane etc. And each time I drive now, I am reminded of all those things and tell myself, it IS better to be safe than sorry.

On a different note, CY was the safest driver ever, today. :)




1 comment:

  1. 否极泰来!大难不死,必有后福!塞翁失马,焉知非福?好人一生平安!

    ReplyDelete