Saturday, June 2, 2012

Early 21

Another year has almost passed and this time, I am celebrating my 21st. I still remember being eight wondering how long it would actually take before I would turn 12 (because my dad promised to reveal his magic secret when I am 12). Fast-forward a decade plus later, and all of a sudden 12 is like.. meh.

My birthday this year (in)conveniently falls at a rather peculiar time.. what with my dad being away, me having exams during that period, and right after my exams, I will be whisked off to China for almost a month! So my family didnt really have much choice but to give me a birthday dinner TWO WEEKS in advance. But it was, nevertheless, a touching and happy dinner tonight.

Mom planned it at Chilli's, Bangsar. Was looking forward to seeing the German Shepherd that normally does its rounds there at night but unfortunately tonight, I didnt get a chance to even catch a glimpse of it. 

Going back to the dinner, I felt very blessed spending dinner at a posh restaurant with my family and everyone giving me their own little memorabilia for my 21st. My mom and dad got me a necklace weeks back AND an iPhone 4 today. Grandma and second aunt gave me angpaos while first aunt got me TWO sets of earrings. Something I actually wanted but did not have the heart to say it out. I was honestly very very happy to receive her gift as I dont normally get pretty earrings. 

Having said all that, more than anything else, I feel really grateful to have my mom and dad. They have raised me thus far to be the person that I am today. I am no perfect being, but I am aware of that, and that is one step closer to working to be the best person I can ever be. There are still a lot of things I need to work on about myself.. and I wish my parents knew how much I appreciate them for being patient and tolerant with me. I take them for granted so very often, and they still forgive and love me just the same. 

My aunts, my grandma and my brother are equally appreciated for being there to celebrate my 21st tonight. 

I still remember my brother being an ass, a thorn under my skin, back when we were kids. Looking back now, I am beginning to be grateful for having a brother like him. Though we may not like the same type of foods, and we do get jealous at what the other gets, he is still my brother and nothing can change that. We were raised in the same house by the same parents in somewhat the same manner for 18 years and it is no surprise that we have so much similar thoughts and views. Although we dont talk much because of our own 'busy' lives, but when we do talk, I know my brother is someone that I can count on and understand me. 

I admit.. there is a part of me that feels missing, but really.. I cant ask for more. 

And here's to being an adult. Like finally. 

  

2 comments:

  1. i thought i told you on twitter before? iphone FOUR! I'm not rich like you. :)

    ReplyDelete