Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Sum Up of Several Events

As promised, a picture of my mini cherry cream cheese tart. This is not my most flattering picture of it but i guess the most important is, janji boleh makan right??? I dun have cherries so i used strawberry jam to replace it instead. The base is made of wafers. I like it chilled but my brother likes it out of the oven..
I have been planning to bake a vanilla sponge with filling for a long time too.. I have never really baked a layer type of cake before so this is my first attempt. Not my best, but better than i could hope for. The picture below is the plain vanilla sponge before i disected the cake into two. The consistency was pretty ok on the top but i regret that i did not follow the recipe's instruction for MELTED butter. I just scooped the butter out so it was pretty solid. And ANY experienced baker will tell you that anything solid or heavy doesnt go well with sponges. Haiz.. silly me for overlooking that.
Here, I have spread some strawberry jam, added some fruits and whipped cream! I love whipped cream. It's so light and frothy! Then the top layer goes on top and wa lah... you have fresh fruit cake..
My hands were itching to play with the whipped cream so i added more as the topping. But i seriously think that whipped cream goes better as filling. The picture above was taken a few hours after the cake was in the fridge, so the cake absorbed all the fluffy and cute appeal of the whipped cream.

I am looking forward to eating this tonight!

And then today, i spent my day at Midvalley.. Had my unagi spaghetti lunch at Pasta Zanmai. The unagi was melt-in-the-mouth delicious. Spaghetti was so-so.
Midway while eating the waiter served this to me. I was surprised coz i only ordered the spaghetti but i took it anyway, coz it looked good. Lolz.
The corn soup was very good. The top is actually some sort of pastry, imagine chicken pie pastry? Just that it is not so oily. Yet, it's still flaky. Wish i can learn how to make that pastry skin thing. It was used to cover the bowl of soup. Very imaginative and creative presentation. Corn soup was thick and nice, like campbell's chicken soup. Total amount was RM26.45. They didnt count the soup in (=FREE!)

Then, i watched Hachiko. It is the best movie i have ever watched in my life. Honestly. I love the show. It has all the elements of a good movie. I like how the movie was translated to us, from a doggie's perspective. I was blubbering the whole way through the movie, *spoiler alert* especially the part where the professor's wife sees Hachi waiting at the train station... 10 years later! It was such a pitiful scene...


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting up the pics! It looks delicious!! And I have to agree with you, I like the tarts better when they're chilled! :) Your layer cake looks lovely too! It'd be awesome if it was covered in various berries! Too bad it's hard to get here in Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. no problem... glad you like it.. :) thank you for the compliment for my cake too... it was my first attempt.. i re-made the cake a few days back, this time with plain old vanilla butter cream instead of whipped cream. I felt it was better than my first but i wonder.... why is there still one more slice still remaining in the fridge until today? :O haha...

    ReplyDelete