Saturday, August 20, 2011

Successful Failed Sponge + Macaron Class + Contact Lens + A Meaningful Evening

Hehe... I have a few interesting (and happy) things to share today. Gonna blog this before heading out again till night.

The first would be my supposedly failed sponge cake with mousse that actually turned out pretty okay and nice. Mousse is one of my favourite desserts, and it comes to no surprise that it is a popular favourite among my friends. In fact, Jimmy has already told me twice to learn to make mousse!!! Lol. But I never really knew how to achieve the creamy thick consistency of mousse. My first attempt of Lemon mousse was okay but the second time I tried, it became more like jelly. Zzz. End of story. Swore to myself never to ever try a mousse recipe with gelatin.

Then came Dad ~ Baker & Chef, with his Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake, and guess what? With no gelatin in mousse!!! hehe. It looked pretty simple so I relented to trying it out one more time. I only used their mousse recipe. As for the sponge, I just did a simple whip up of eggs (many thanks to my mom for sharing the secret of maing successful sponges with me).

Picture below: I have finally mastered the secret of making sponges. :)

My first failed attempt is here (below), before my mom showed me the correct way. Haha. Difference of only one egg in the recipe and the size of the cake is more than double! Amazing or not?


But when I poured the mousse liquid into the pan, it seemed very watery and I thought that for sure, it would be a failure this time. Didnt even bother to check the cake out this morning before rushing off for macaron class... and when I came back, there were only two slices left! Kewl... or not? hehe. So glad. Was even gladder when I tried the cake and realised it wasnt that bad. Enjoyed the mousse consistency although I do have to do something with the extreme sweetness of the chocolate in future.

Another highlight of my day today was the macaron class, organised by Big Boys Oven. These two fellas, Sidney and Sunny are awesome. They taught us how to make macarons. In case you are not aware, macarons are not easy to make. Each attempt can just lead you to another type of different failure. So it's better to just employ the help of the experts to avoid all that wastage. They were genuine in teaching the tricks around making macarons and at the end of it all, Sunny even served a delicious slice of moist chocolate cake for us. All of us took back a box of delightfully coloured macarons as well as one cupcake decorated with fondant and one heart-shaped macaron. Really, really satisfied with the class. Now... for me to recall the steps taught and to actually reproduce an equally beautiful and successful batch at home!





Wore contact lens the whole day today. Once again, broke my record of putting the lens on my eyeballs/cornea/whatever you call it. 30 minutes! Woots. It might not be much for some of y'll but do take note that the first time I put it on, I took about 3 hours in total. Lol. So I consider this an achievement. Wonder if i should continue wearing it when I go out later or should I just remove it now? Hmm....

Okay, enough with the yapping. Just that I have so many happy things to share today. I feel that I can blog non-stop about it.

[Edited] at 10pm, 20 August

Just back from the temple. The Buka Puasa event organised for the visually and hearing impaired was amazing. I never imagined that of all places, this would be the place that I am able to seek the most joy in the past few months. I am particularly taken by those who cannot see the world at all, and yet can still be brave enough to step out into this world.. coming out and having dinner tonight proves it. There was one particular guy (maybe about 20 something years old) whom I was quite attracted to. From his behavior, I can safely say that he isnt able to see much. At the most, just some shadow images. And yet, he seemed very confident and happy with himself. I really enjoyed watching how he behaved, he seemed so comfortable in his own skin that it made him ever so likable. Although he wasnt able to see the people around him and his friends, he still showed he cared for them.. and when they were walking in a single file and he lost his friend walking behind him, he was very worried, not for himself but for his friend. Just one of the many incredible people I met today. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment