Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rainbow Cake

A very very colourful post ahead! Well, yesterday was my first ever break since I got back from China and started work. To be honest, I have been tempted to bake all sorts of things in the past few months but never really had the time to sit down and research my stuff. Did two batches of macarons but it was a failure much. Will need to bake them again, until I succeed or my previously-acquired-macaron-baking-skill would go down the drain. Yesterday I did something just as colourful as macarons but.. in cake form - Rainbow cake! Got the recipe from Sweetapolita but made some slight alterations to the recipe. 

On another note, working does.. sometimes make me feel like a sore thumb. Not sure if it is because I am new to the working field or whether I really do have the IQ of a bird.. I seem to have a lot to learn. Keep making mistakes here and there. And working at Starbucks is a lot of pressure because customers expect a lot from us. Hopefully I will learn more quickly before everyone around me loses their patience with me. For now, they still can explain to customers that I am still new. But it will soon be one week. Then it will be two. Then what's next? 

* * *

My paint/batter/painted batter. 

Basic Rainbow Cake

226g butter
2 cups sugar
5 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
Red, yellow, blue gel food coloring

1. Preheat oven to 170C. Line the 9'' cake pans. 
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar until white and fluffy. Then add the egg whites bit by bit. Add vanilla. Then, add milk and flour mixture alternating. 
4. Divide the batter into 6 bowls. I used a ladle to uniform the amount scooped into each bowl.  
5. Mix in the food colouring into the bowls. To achieve orange, mix red and yellow food colouring in equal proportions. Likewise to achieve green colouring, use blue and yellow food colouring and to get violet, use blue and red food colouring. Ensure that colouring is mixed thoroughly into the batter. Any clumps will look awful when the cake is baked, so dont let this happen!
6. Pour into the pans and bake for 15 minutes each. 
7. When they are done, let them cool. Refrigerate them before stacking.   

Basic Buttercream (for filling)
1 cup butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter until white and fluffy. Add in icing sugar and continue beating. Add in vanilla. 

Whipped Cream (for frosting)
2 cups whipped cream
2 teaspoon icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Ensure bowl and beater is chilled before beating. Beating until whipped cream is thick and fluffy.

Assemble
Place cake layer one by one alternating with buttercream filling. Crumbcoat the cake before decorating with whipped cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment