Thursday, July 19, 2012

Starbucks Working Experience

Finally 21 and all, I found the guts to stand up against my parents and told them I would find a job. Not that my parents would forbid me to get a job.. but you can sense the disapproval when you start telling them your options etc. But this time round, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were quite supportive. And indirectly, it meant that I had their blessings to work part-time. Like finally, right?

I went to a lot of places. All were either some form of restaurant, cafe, or bakery. I soon learnt that nobody wanted to hire someone that would only be around for two months or maybe even less. It was really sad for me. TGIF was the first restaurant to hire me. And they offered good pay too. RM1500 - RM1600 a month.. but it was a little difficult to accept working late nights every other day. TGIF is, after all the type of restaurant that opens late and closes later. McDonalds offered a vacancy the next day. The pay was peanuts in comparison to TGIF and after some consideration, I stuck to TGIF. But on the day of my TGIF orientation, Starbucks rang me up and asked if i could turn up for an interview. Starbucks was one of my main targets when applying for a job. Naturally, I said alright i will be there. The interview turned out fine. The interviewer, who eventually became my boss, was very pleasant and down-to-earth. And I did not feel a need to pretend to be something I am not in front of her. At the end of the interview, I was told to turn up for  orientation the next day. 

Day 1 (3pm -  8pm)
Orientation a.k.a Starbuck's First Impression is for all new baristas. Another girl and I were hired and I chatted a little with her as both of us had turned up early. She is a medical student from IMU, same age as me! Seemed pleasant enough a person. :) Manager taught us how to taste and test coffee. Me, the-never-drinks-coffee-ever-person had to down one cup of espresso maynn..... Did a lot of signing and filling up forms that day. Was given two black polo shirts, one apron and one cap. 

Day 2 (10am - 4pm)
Training at Berjaya Times Square. More like a one-day workshop on customer service. The facilitator was pretty friendly and charismatic. Talk was on how Starbucks came about, their mission and stuff. Kinda introduced the values that Starbucks holds closest to the company. Quality - is really important. Got another round of coffee tasting-and-testing. This time we were made to compare Starbucks Arabica coffee beans with some random coffee brand. Not saying this because I am now working for Starbucks but seriously, the random coffee brand tasted like detergent water. Almost wanted to spit it out the moment the flavour hit my tongue. 

Day 3 (8.30am - 2.30pm) - TODAY!
Finally, first day of work. Learnt alot of things today. From changing the bar mat to making lattes and cappuccinos and whatnot. Working environment is very pleasant. My colleagues are friendly and happy people. and even when it was 2.50pm, I was pretty reluctant to go home. so I hung around studying the coffee recipes until 4pm. I have a lot to learn and I do feel the heat and stress (the expectations!) of working life.. but at the moment, it is still manageable. Can't wait till tomorrow!

Till then.
  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment