Monday, December 6, 2010

Totally lost but it's alright

I finally sat for the law and society paper.

It wasnt good, maybe even bordering on awful. I really hope the examiner wouldnt be disgusted with the things i wrote coz i was rambling on nonsense. It was so bad, even i refused to re-read what i wrote!

Anyway, i confided in my mom. She said it's alright, i dont have to aim to be the best. I know who i am deep down inside, and the truth is, i am not all that great with general knowledge. It is not that i am too lazy to read the newspaper, or spare some time for the news. But i really have no interest in what goes on with politics, or if there is a war going on. I am ashamed to admit this, but it is the truth. Every time i turn to the front page of a newspaper, my eyes drift from the headline to the advertisement at the bottom of the page. If i try to read Malaysiakini, i just zoom past the headlines and click the red, "x" bottom at the right top corner of page. On the other hand, i do know what is happening in Hollywood, who is dating who, and what is delicious and easy to bake. I can read novels on fantasy, crime, thrillers.... and never put them down until the last page.

Isnt that bad? I often wondered when i will start developing some interest in current issues. Always, the answer was one day. But when is "one day" going to come? If a 9-year old girl doesnt know why North Korea is bombing South Korea, it is acceptable. But if a 19-year girl wonders the same thing, people will wonder if she is illiterate.

Am i normal?




2 comments:

  1. Everyone has their area of interests. If you find romance novel gripping but reading 101 reasons why Sarah Palin shouldn't run for President a bore, it's completely alright. When I was young, I had this kind of crazy intention to know every darn thing in the world. Encyclopedias, football, Hollywood spice, Twilight novels (my greatest regret in life. Ever.) and many more. But at the end of the day, it boils down to what you prefer reading without feeling forced to. Something like, well, picking up the book naturally without any burden and just flipping it through to immerse yourself in that magical world. Honestly, I didn't had any interest reading politics and international issues at first, but I guess debating requires me to do so. And somehow, I have grown fond of it and find it as compelling as the first time I have read a Harry Potter book. Take your time and if it still doesnt light a spark within you, then you should not think that you're inferior just because you don't know it. Of course, studying law requires general knowledge to make you more impressionable, so we shouldn't discard it altogether. Who knows, maybe you would end up as a multi-million author one day instead of a lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Sapphire Dragon;s comment. Yeah, I don't too, only certain current issues attract my attention. But so what, do not force yourself to do what you dislike. If you do not want to read about the current issues, that's fine. You can Wei Jiet or whoever that follow those issue , and they will tell you the story. So you don't have to feel all that bad. For instance, I don't read Harry Potter's novel at all but my sisters did. So for me to know the story, I just ask them. So you can do the same thing too.

    ReplyDelete