Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Raleigh IW Camp

I had a very special weekend. One that I would never want to forget, not in a million years. I think I owe it to Raleigh International to convince as many people as possible to take part in their camps because it is that incredible!

A little about Raleigh International before I proceed with a brief summary of my weekend. Basically, Raleigh international runs expeditions in Costa Rica and Nicaragua, Borneo, and Tanzania. Their expeditions would normally consists of 10 weeks of living with nothing but nature and doing community projects. It can be pretty hardcore, I must admit, which is why they also organise Introduction Weekend camps every few months to expose interested people to what their expeditions are like.

I took part in their most recent one - October 2012.

I cant really go too deep into what we did, where we were, how our lives were like, because everything is meant to be kept as a surprise for the participants. Perhaps it is to keep us participants ready for any surprises or challenges that come our way when we are least prepared.

But if you are the adventurous sort, this is really the camp for you. If you check out their website and like the idea of going for expeditions, do give this Introduction Weekend a try. I heard there will be another one in December.

I didnt enjoy it like how I enjoy tasting desserts and going for food trips, but that doesnt mean that I didnt enjoy it. This is the kind of camp that gave me chunks of what life can be like without all those high tech stuff and allowed me to be reminded of how beautiful nature can be. It is like the fresh blast of water gushing down from the waterfall - both dangerous and fun, and of course, very refreshing. I enjoyed the company of my new-found friends because we worked as a team - ate together, worked together, played together, slept together, even.

And post-camp, as I type this, I miss the brief weekend I had and know for sure that Raleigh has indeed changed a part of my life by reminding me of how important nature is.

No comments:

Post a Comment