Monday, April 2, 2012

Chocolate Banana Cake (Secret Recipe Inspired!)

Thing have been going well for me, well.. at least for my baking. The Mud Pie I made a few days ago went well and then today, I attempted a Chocolate Banana Cake. I know I really should start studying. What with so many tests coming up after the holidays, and I can foresee the end of April to be super hectic and killing. But.. that is another story.



Chocolate Banana Cake

A:
30g cocoa powder, mixed with 120ml water
4 egg yolks
100g sugar *I reduced to 90g
130g SRF *didnt have SRF so I replaced it with all-purpose flour + 1 1/2 tsp baking soda + 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
60ml corn oil
1 tsp vanilla essence

B:
4 egg whites
60g sugar *reduced to 50g
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Cake filling:
500ml chocolate whipping cream *I used normal whipping cream but added cocoa powder to the cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee, mixed with 1 tbsp hot water *personally felt the coffee flavour was a little too strong but I guess it depends on the brand of coffee you use!
1 tbsp gelatine
6 ripen bananas, cut into slices of 1.5cm thickness

Chocolate topping:
(Note: I cut down the original recipe by half as these frosting recipes normally have extra so if you arent stingy, just double the portion and that will be the original recipe. Personally found the coating to harden quite quickly once poured onto the surface of the cake. Perhaps, a suggestion for myself in future is to add more whipping cream to the mixture so the topping will not be hard and instead, hopefully, will have a softer ganache-like texture.)
70ml whipping cream
175g cooking chocolate
1/2 tbsp butter

1. Preheat oven at 180C.
2. In a bowl, to perpare A, whisk egg yolks with cocoa mixture until thick and gooey. Gradually add sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, corn oil and vanilla essence. The end product should look chocolate-y and shiny but also very sticky.
3. To prepare B, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add in sugar and continue whisking until stiff peak.
4. Fold A into B.
5. Pour into 9-inch cake pan and bake for 40minutes (*I baked it for 30minutes. Again, this depends on your own individual oven as each oven is different).
6. Let it cool. Invert cake and cut into three layers when cool.
7. For filling, whisk cream until stiff peak. Add in vanilla essence, followed by coffee mixture and gelatine mixture. I added in cocoa poweder too.
8. Spread filling onto first layer of cake and arrange banana slices on top of filling. Top with second layer. Spread filling and arrange slices of bananas. For the last layer, spread cream filling on top and side of cake. Leave in the fridge to set.
9. To prepare chocolate topping, heat chocolate in double-boiler and add in butter and whipped cream. Stir until mixture is smooth and melted. Leave to cool before pouring in top of cake.



 Doesnt it look like Secret Recipe's Chocolate Banana? :p
Well the next time I make this, I will try to improvise it and make it more original.. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment